Saturday, April 11, 2009

Bella Ham. Sleepy Glenn.



Above: My sister's cat, my dog, my mother's husband.

I miss Bella and my Dad.

I know it's been a week since my last post. In fact, I think it's been over a week. I'm a little disappointed in the lack of attention my last post received. I kept hoping more people would read the post and comment on their favorite gorilla. Thank you to Caitlin and the Semler family for entertaining my request.

Conor and I are sitting on our balcony. Sipping margaritas. It's Saturday evening, about 9:00pm, and it is pouring. We can see downtown Brisbane through the mist. The ferris wheel on the South Bank is lit up and the AFL stadium lights have been gleaming for hours. It's Easter weekend, the biggest travel weekend of the year! Australians receive nine public holidays a year, in addition to six mandatory weeks of vacation. Typically families head out of town on this four-day weekend to visit relatives or the coast (to soak in the sun and camp near the beach). Despite the lights, the city seems rather quiet. Friday and Monday are both public holidays and most shops closed Thursday, re-opening on Tuesday. Thank goodness our local grocer was open today - I don't think I could stomach pasta noodles or rice with butter for three days straight.

It was a quiet day, and now, a quiet evening. Conor is working on his book. (Yes, he is writing a book.) And I am catching up on some emails and skimming the music in my Rhapsody account. After food shopping today, we made guacamole and baked tortilla chips for an appetizer. There is a home-made veggie pizza in the oven as I type, and I managed to whip together some blonde brownies while Conor was out for a jog earlier this afternoon. We will eat well tonight! I love having a house full of fresh vegetables, good bread, and some eggs and cheese. Chocolate is nice too, of course.

It was a fairly busy week and I will write more tomorrow. Happy Easter, everyone!

This post's recommendations (it's been a while):
Band: Carbon Leaf
Movie: The Boat That Rocked (It was amusing. Not brilliant, but amusing.)
Food: My Mom's Blonde Brownies

No comments:

Post a Comment