Sunday, April 12, 2009

Mostly Rain...but for two weeks?

Yes, it's still raining. Actually, it's pouring. Conor and I accumulated four umbrellas during our year and a half in Portland, and oddly enough, not one made the trek to Brisbane. I am hopeful that although it is yet another public holiday today, the supermarket across the street will remain open long enough for me to purchase an umbrella within the next few hours (I refuse to head outside now. I will be drenched within seconds).

I begin work tomorrow. Alright, I started work a couple of weeks ago, but have only worked three shifts, plus a coffee training session, since then. Tomorrow morning, at 5:30am, I report to duty and train with Kahl. I will be learning how to open the store and prepare for weekday, morning trade. 5:30am, I can hardly wait. I am scheduled to work the remainder of the week. I also have three shifts lined up for next week. Things are looking up in the/my financial world. The new store, my store, is set to open on April 27. Hopefully I can hold out for a couple more weeks!

Just over a week ago Conor and I attended a performance of "That Face" at the Queensland Performing Arts Centre. It was a fairly good show - Conor liked it quite a bit. We live only a ten minute walk from a handful of theatres and smaller performing art venues. Conor hopes to frequent the theatre in Brisbane. We even thought about becoming members somewhere. How adult. (Luckily, there is an "Under 30" rate for most theatrical performances, but unfortunately, there is not a membership type that reflects this price break.)

Yesterday we headed out to enjoy another form of art, modern art. All of the museums in Brisbane are operated by the government and are free to the public. We toured the Museum of Modern Art for a couple of hours yesterday afternoon. They are currently exhibiting their permanent Chinese artwork with a number of special exhibition pieces. Although neither of us cared greatly for the exhibit, it was nice to wander around the air-conditioned building for free.

We plan to continue this "artsy" weekend trend and attend a free concert next Sunday afternoon at the PowerHouse, a restored power house located just a quick City Cat ride up the river. Every Sunday at 3:30pm the PowerHouse features "Live Spark", a free concert series featuring local artists.

Will we ever make it to the beach again? Maybe one of these weekends. If it ever stops raining that is.

This post's recommendation:
Television: How I Met Your Mother (It's my Monday night favorite/guilty pleasure.)

1 comment:

  1. Free museums...another reason we need to visit. I'm glad you guys are enjoying your new city of choice.

    ReplyDelete