Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Freedom Fries?

French fries. Who doesn't like French fries? I am sitting at The Chelsea (my favorite coffee and French fry spot) reading through a handful of emails and researching possible travel destinations for the upcoming winter months. Although it is the "busy season" in Australia (because it is spring/summer in the northern hemisphere and everyone is planning their summer holidays) and hotel/flight prices are high, there are several "secret" getaways we have learned of since arriving in Brisbane, and we are itching to see everything and anything!

Many smaller coastal towns have great deals during June, July, and August. I am already thinking about Byron Bay again (the Sandals Hotel is running a winter special!). I also have my eye on a resort in Noosa. Brisbane is decent for living, working, and eating, but as far as leisure and adventure activities go, you must travel to the coast!

Conor and I are actually heading to the coast again on Saturday. We are going snorkeling off of another sand island, North Stradbroke. We had such a wonderful time in Moreton, we figure while the water is still warm, let's get back in! Also, the humpback whales have been spotted off the coast and I am dying to see them traveling north.

I spent the last few days at the West End French Twist. We have an opening date in sight for our new store! On May 28 we are scheduled to open our doors (which happen to be located about three doors down from The Chelsea) to the public. I sit at The Chelsea sometimes and stare at the construction workers installing our walls and counters, etc. Maybe it helps them work faster? Probably not. I am really looking forward to full time work. I stopped working in the States on February 10 - it will be nice to have a pay check again.

One of our refrigerators at the West End store was switched off accidentally the other night. The cooler was still turning itself back on when I left work last night and a handful of the staff were instructed to take home all items containing cream or custard. So, I trotted home with a large, cake-size mixed fruit tart, a few custard slices, eclairs, and mousse! Gosh, what a lucky day to be at work! Conor and I enjoyed a sample of each item last night while watching an episode of The West Wing. I had Conor drop the tart off at his office (which is located across the street from my new store) this morning. I figure a little advertising for our new location couldn't hurt.

This Post's Recommendation:
Food: French Fries and Corn Chowder (but not together)

1 comment:

  1. Hope you two had a great time snorkeling,and the humpback whales took some pictures of you to send back to their families. Conor, I haven't read about any canoeing! How come?
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete