Sunday, October 4, 2009

Up

Up. Conor and I went to the movies on Saturday evening and saw the newest Pixar film. It made me laugh, and of course, it made me cry. My somewhat silent outburst was not similar to the flood that followed Leo's death in 1997 or when Frodo said his final goodbye to Sam in 2003.

Excuse me while I put on The Essential Kenny Loggins before continuing this post.

Thank goodness for 3D glasses. Unfortunately, Conor snatched them off of my face and tossed them into the recycling bin as we left the dark theatre and headed out into the bright lights of the Queen Street Mall. At the end of the movie I had one of those awkward moments where I had to hold my breath in order to keep from letting out one of those loud, obnoxious sucking sounds. The harsh inhale. You know exactly what I mean.

I wiped my nose on my shirt.

My mascara ran.

I teared up twice on the walk home.

With all of that being said, if you haven't seen "Up", see it. It is well worth the staining of your favorite J.Crew tee and the puffy circles you might wake up with the following morning.

I walked away from the theatre with a wet face. Also, hope. Motivation. And the need for something more. From myself.

All of this from a Disney movie, eh?

At 5:15 this morning, before I walked out the front door and headed to work, I sat on the edge of the bed and gave Conor a gentle shake. (He claims that it doesn't bother him one bit when my alarm goes off at 4:30, but I'm not sure if I believe him.) He was [seemed] very attentive as I attempted to explain my thoughts. I told him how wonderful it is for me to share my adventures with him. And how I hope we (and I) have many, many more wonderful times and amazing adventures over the years. I thanked him. I might have cried a little bit on the way to work, but I'm okay now.

Here's the thing, I'm a very lucky person. I might have mentioned that in my last post. "Up" opened my eyes a little bit more to this fact. I will try harder to live every day to it's fullest. In addition, the film made me realize that every little bit of good has the potential to go a long way. A very long way.

So, slow down. Smile. Say please and thank you. Ask questions. How are you? Can I help you? Smile again. Learn something new. Ask more questions. What can I do to help? Walk a little slower. Listen.

Up might not be for everyone. But I enjoyed it. Even if I couldn't shake my congestion for a few hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment