Thursday, March 26, 2009

Bread

I started work. I have already gained a kilogram or two. The food at French Twist is absolutely delicious. Over the past few days I have engaged in product training. Yes, I got paid to eat for six hours. My "homework" was to take home a variety of breads and pastries and sample them while going over a description sheet. I don't remember homework being so rough. In only two days I have sampled friand, chocolate eclair, divorce, le diplomat, ganache gateau, macaroons, brioche, cheese twist, palmier, jalousi, jesuite, feta and spinach croissant, ciabatta, pain de campagne, pain au noix, pain de Provence, and rye sourdough. Yeah, at least a kilogram or two.

The bad news, aside from the kilograms I need to burn off, is that the store I will be helping open, will not open for another three weeks. In the meantime, I will continue to train and work part-time. I hope Kittelson is in need of my services over the next few weeks. I might die of boredom if I continue to hang around the apartment.

Tomorrow is Friday though and that means only one more day home alone. Although we have decided to lay low this weekend, it will be nice to spend some time with Conor. He has been working quite a bit this week - we haven't even had time to watch Flight of the Conchords together!

We found out just over a week or so ago that Jamie and Annie will be coming to visit us in June. I am incredibly excited to have visitors from the States (although we will have a few other Kittelson employees crashing with us before then). While the two of them are here, we are hoping to head north to the Great Barrier Reef. Conor and I are also planning some travel for the next few months. We hope to not only see a large amount of Australia while we are living in Brisbane, such as Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Canberra, but also plan to travel outside of the country. New Zealand and Tasmania (even though it is technically Australia) are definitely on our list, as well as Thailand and Laos on our return trip to the States. We have heard Fiji is a bit of a hole, but might make the trip anyway. Vanuatu seems to receive better reviews.

We both encourage visitors. Come to Australia! Currently, Qantas offers non-stop flights from LAX for approximately $900 roundtrip. Not too shabby. In June or July, Virgin and Delta will also begin offering non-stop service from LAX. The competition should help reduce the price of flights to Brisbane. Think about it. Fly for fairly cheap. Stay with friends for free. Visit a foreign country. Think about it.

This post's recommendation:
Food: French, duh.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like the perfect job. Send us some secret recipes!

    ReplyDelete