Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Edith Piaf


Two days in a row now I woke up at 6am full of energy. Similar to yesterday, I felt amazing, dressed quickly, walked Conor to work (only a ten minute walk from our apartment), and then headed to the treadmill. Why run indoors? As much as I would like to think that I could jog in this humid weather, I am sure some Aussie would find me on the side of the road only a few minutes into my run. To avoid more awkward Aussie/American conversation, I will stick to the cardio room until Brisbane cools down a bit. Also, I would be lying if said I wasn't nervous about crossing the road. When walking, I am incredibly cautious and slow when approaching an intersection. I say to myself, "Look RIGHT and then left before crossing. Right and then left." Maybe I will do laps around the block tomorrow.

I am currently sitting in a cafe in Brisbane's West End called Three Monkeys. Conor demanded I order an "Edith Piaf" upon my arrival. For some reason, a mutual friend (and Brisbane native) informed Conor that this beverage was the best in the house. Let me tell you about my new friend Edith. When the waitress carried her over to my table, I very calmly informed her that the soup bowl and spoon she was carrying was not my order. When she confirmed the name of the beverage, I winced. Edith is a very large latte, disguised as a creamy chowder. The waitress brought me a place setting and saucer along with my espresso beverage. After walking for 25 minutes in 90 degree weather, I do not recommend the Edith Piaf. On a cooler day, however, I will be sure to look her up.

I was able to finish setting up our bank accounts this morning. Also, I made a lovely (and quick) visit to the immigration office. I now have my visa stamp - next step, find a job. My teller at the bank this morning actually tried to convince me to fill out an application. I think he enjoyed my accent. Funny, because I enjoyed his.

While running errands, I explored the downtown area. I ducked into a few shops and stopped to have a cup of coffee. I even took a few photos of the city and Brisbane River (I will be sure to post these once I am back in the apartment. Minus Edith.) Unfortunately, still no lizard-sightings.

Conor and I are currently sharing our two bedroom, two bath apartment with another Kittelson employee. Zach informed us just last night that he will be moving next week. I am sure Zach will never find his way to my blog, but I will keep my description of him to a minimum just the same: I am very excited for next week. (This may or may not have anything to do with the soaking tub off of the master bedroom.)

Unfortunately, I do not have much to report in regard to food, beer, or wine (I know some of you are curious to hear of my dining adventures, JR). I will be heading to a well-known seafood restaurant in a few hours. I will be sure to mention my meal tomorrow.

As the bottom of my soup bowl is in sight, I will sign off.
Here's to you Edith Piaf.


3 comments:

  1. Love the Edith Piaf story. Conor must know that Edith
    (the real one, the French chanteuse), is one of my favorite singers. Tell Conor I don't want him working so late... too much like his father.
    Jen, keep up the on-going diary. I look forward to reading it.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um... Mom? It's weird that you're writing on someone's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I should get my own blog... "Mostly Cloudy with a Chance of Crutches."

    Mom

    ReplyDelete