Sunday, March 22, 2009

Surfer's Paradise



I spent Friday helping Conor and his supervisor, Miranda, out in the KAI office. I busied myself with fairly basic administrative work for the majority of the day. It felt good to (somewhat) get back to work. It will also be nice to have a little extra cash in my pocket, since I do not start my new gig until Wednesday afternoon, and even then, it's only part-time and training.

I am looking forward to learning more about the French Twist culture on Wednesday. The first two hour session consists of product training. I am sure there will be some tasting of coffee and pastries involved - yum! On Thursday afternoon I will be learning the POS system - blah, but necessary. I am excited to meet my fellow co-workers and hopefully make a few more friends in Brisbane.

After spending the day in the air-conditioned office on Friday, Conor, Miranda and I walked across the street to a sushi restaurant and grabbed a quick bit. I am not one for sushi, and am also nearing my one month anniversary of becoming a vegetarian, so my options were quite limited. After dinner, I called it an early night. I think Conor was a tad upset, as it was his Friday. We did squeeze in a few new episodes of Flight of the Conchords though. If you still haven't seen it, Netflix it now!

We spent Saturday wandering about the city, stopping for the occasional snack and beer. Conor got a haircut (finally) and I ate gelato. It was very lovely. Sunday morning we got up fairly early, grabbed a Flat White and jumped on the train. We decided on Saturday evening that we should leave the city on Sunday, and although the weather forecast wasn't great, we decided to check out the Gold Coast, more specifically, Surfer's Paradise.

Man, what a fabulous day! I love the beach and the ocean, especially the salt water. It only cost us $12 each (Australian - which is $8.25 in U.S. dollars) to take the train and bus round trip to the coast. What a deal! We brought our books and enjoyed the scenery, as we cruised past the traffic.

We spent the entire day lying on the beach, thrashing in the gigantic waves, eating ice cream and drinking tropical beverages, and wandering around the beach town. The weather was perfect - hot, but not humid, with a lovely breeze. I look forward to taking our guests to the beach when they come to visit us. Hell, we might even go again next weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Nice on becoming a vegetarian! Welcome to the club! What prompted this...?

    ReplyDelete