Monday, March 16, 2009

Fleas





























First of all, I need to clarify something...for Conor's sake. The bridge pictured below (and again above) is not a suburban bridge, but is located in downtown Brisbane. Please do not let the title of my post, "The 'burbs" fool you any longer. The Story Bridge was named for John Douglas Story and spans the Brisbane River, connecting Kangaroo Point and Brisbane's Fortitude Valley. This bridge is very urban, indeed. The Story Bridge is the largest steel bridge constructed in Australia by Australians. For a mere $79 the crew at Story Bridge Adventure Climb will strap you into a harness and encourage you to climb the 74 metres (22 stories) to the top!

I realize it has been a week since my last post. My parents were kind enough to bring this fact to my attention when I spoke with them on the telephone this morning. Sorry, Mom and Dad. I would like to take a moment to thank them for adopting our dog, Bella. For those of you who do not know Bella, she is the world's greatest dog. If you live in the area, please stop by 9 High Street and meet her. (I have included a photo of her tailgating at the Oregon Beaver's homecoming game last fall - she is a very fun dog.) Thanks, guys.

Bella is not the reason why this particular post is titled "Fleas", however. Over the weekend Conor and I traveled to the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary. I believe it was while I was hopping around with the kangaroos that these pesky tenants planted themselves on my ankles. I am covered from head to toe with small bites. I first blamed the itching on Conor, followed by the incredibly fragrant laundry detergent he purchased before I moved to Brisbane. Now, as much as I love them, I blame the kangaroos. Sorry, Conor.

Aside from the fleas, I had a fabulous time at the sanctuary and the day following my visit threatened to return in search of a permanent position. Not only did I get to romp with the kangaroos, but I was able to hold a male koala for two minutes! I did not catch his name, but I am pretty sure it was something like Oscar, as he was very surly. To view photos of this trip, please visit: http://picasaweb.google.com.au/jennie.macpherson/AustraliaPhotos#

I have decided to add a lil' something extra to my posts. Each post I will include a random recommendation for my readers. 

This post's recommendation: 
Television: Flight of the Conchords (go out and rent it now!)

Oh, that's right, the koala's name was Dylan.



No comments:

Post a Comment