Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Coffee Talk


If you hate coffee and espresso this may not be the post for you. Please feel free to investigate my new lizard photo though.

As Anna stated in her comment of my last post, it is incredibly difficult to order coffee/espresso in Australia. Personally, I enjoy a cappuccino or latte on a daily basis. Often times I order an iced latte - when it is warm outside, I need a cool coffee drink. 

Similar to most European countries, drip coffee is non-existent in Australia. Typically an Australian iced coffee consists of ice, espresso, cold milk, ice cream, and whipped cream. If you drink your drip coffee black, this is not the treat for you (or maybe it is?). Cappuccino is simple. Although the Italian espresso drink is served in a cup a tad bit larger than I am accustomed to, it is delicious just the same. Most places top their cappuccino with grated nutmeg and chocolate. Mmm.

The latte is tough. And don't even get me started on the iced latte! A "Flat White" seems to be the Australian equivalent to a latte. This drink is served with espresso, steamed milk, and foam. A "Latte", however, is similar, but contains a much greater ratio of steamed milk and foam to espresso. When one orders an iced latte or an iced flat white, they might end up drinking ice, espresso, cold milk, liquid sugar, and whipped cream. Good grief.

I have been lucky enough to find a coffee shop, The Chelsea Cafe, relatively close to our home that serves my iced latte just the way I like it. Of course it took a few tries and a detailed description, but I am currently sipping espresso and iced milk in a tall pint glass. Yum. Liza, my favorite barista at The Chelsea Cafe, knows exactly what I want when I arrive each day. She actually drinks the very same espresso drink on a daily basis. My iced latte is now referred to as "The Liza".

Today: Mostly Rain - perhaps the aftermath of Cyclone Hamish.

No comments:

Post a Comment